Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Countdown Begins - 14 days

Apologies for being slack in posting this week.  Life got the better of me this week for the most part.  The other part is that I've started preparing myself for my first trip to Disney this year.

I thought that I would take some time to let you know how I'm preparing.  First of all, my family has been to Disney multiple times so we don't feel the need to spend our entire vacation there (also, finances don't allow for such shenanigans).  We want to spend one day at a Disney park (my choice is Epcot), try out the Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf, explore the Wildlife Preserve and possibly spend a day at a non-Disney park (heresy I know, but they have a Marvel themed island, so that counts right?)

My desire to go to Epcot stems from the fact that I've never really given it a fair shot.  When I go to an amusement park, I want to be amused.  "Edu-tainment" doesn't cut it for me (and, to be perfectly honest, I don't completely buy the message that Disney is trying to sell).  So, when we have to choose only one park to visit, Epcot is not high on my list.  But I want that to change.

I'm still more on the "amuse me" side of things, but I have learned a lot about the history of Epcot over the past few years and have become intrigued with the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow.

So, how am I preparing for my trip to Epcot?

First the movies.  I'm taking the list of movies that I made for both Future World and World Showcase and watching some of them.  Obviously, I can't watch all of them, but I started watching Tron the other day and am really looking forward to watching Walt and El Grupo followed by the other Spanish themed movies.

I'm also reading a few books, or parts of books.  The Imagineers Guide to Epcot is very interesting and I plan on reviewing it soon along with sharing some of the fun facts that I learned about the park.  I also want to reread the parts of the Hidden Magic of WDW and Mousejunkies that apply to the park.

We leave on the 23rd and I plan on having trip related posts over the next couple of weeks as the days wind down.


What is your favorite park to visit?  How do you prepare?

No comments:

Post a Comment