Monday, May 14, 2012

Book Review: The Disney Mountains

The Disney Mountains: Disney Imagineering At Its Peak by Jason Surrell is one of my favorite Disney books.  The Disney mountain range represents so many of my favorite rides: Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Big Thunder Mountain.  These are the rides that I look forward to every trip.

I really enjoyed reading the history of these rides.  Surrell does a great job of giving us a history lesson (and sometimes even an engineering lesson) and making it interesting.  The flow of the book is roughly chronological which gives its readers a great look at how the technology has grown and developed over the years.

He also talks about the Matterhorn and Grizzly Peak in California as well as the never built Candy Mountain.

The other part of the book that I was impressed with was the comparison between the mountains that have duplicates in other parks around the world. (As an aside, his chapter on Mt. Prometheus in Disney ToykoSea was the catalyst for my growing desire to visit that park)

Anyone who loves Disney Parks history, the Disney mountains or imagineering needs to own this book.  Personally, I can't wait to read his other two books where he takes in depth looks at both The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean.


Which is your favorite Disney Mountain?

No comments:

Post a Comment