Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Book Review: The Kingdom Keepers Series


The fifth installment of Ridley Pearson's Kingdom Keepers series came out yesterday so I thought this would be a good opportunity to bring them up.

The series follows a group of kids who, through the use of special technology, can enter the Disney parks at night.

They realize that the characters and attractions come alive at night (a la "Night at the Museum") which is all fun and games until they discover that the Disney villians, led by Maleficent, are trying to take over the parks.

Now they, with the help of the last imagineer to work with Walt himself, must find a way to stop them.

Overall, these books are wonderful. My biggest criticism of the books is that sometimes they can get repetitive. The kids repeat themselves often, reciting various rules or boundaries over and over. There is even a repetitive nature at the beginning of the books going back and explaining the who's and how's of what's going on. This is only a small criticism because I think this technique works well for kids books (of which this series qualifies) - but I'm not a kid, so the repetition becomes tedious after awhile.

That aside, these books are very well written and researched. Having been to the parks multiple times over the years, I can see, in my mind, where the Kingdom Keepers are throughout the parks. And I love that he brings in other Disney related topics, like the movies, the Disney Channel, even the old Virtual Magic Kingdom game.

I need to catch up (I'm reading number three right now), but I love how the characters are interacting with each other and growing.

I also love how this series can serve as a bookend to a Disney trip - at the beginning to get you and/or your kids excited about the trip or at the end to help you remember your time there. Finding creative ways to extend your vacation in either direction can be a really good way to experience more without paying more.

No comments:

Post a Comment