Friday, February 3, 2012

Book Review: The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World

I said in my last book review that Mousejunkies was last on my list to own. This book, however, was on the top of that list. I’ve been to the parks enough times now that just going and riding the rides isn’t enough anymore. Like a true addict, I need more to get my fix and I thought that this book would help add to my experiences in the parks effectively feeding my addiction in the process. I must say, it doesn’t disappoint.

The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World is filled with little known facts and secrets that can enhance your experience in the parks.

For example, my family is planning a trip to Epcot this summer and a quick glance through the Epcot section gives me quite a bit to look for when we go, for example:

- Looking at Morocco from Mexico, you can see the top of the Tower of Terror

- Many of the water fountains and trash cans seem to have people living in them

- Test Track is not only a great ride, it is home to numerous sight gags

- There are references to both Beauty and the Beast and Ratatouille in the France Paviliion

Just to name a few.

Also, Susan Veness, the author, has bolded certain key words, which allows you to do a quick search of what you are looking for instead of having to read large portions of text. This is especially helpful when you are physically in the parks because, let’s be honest, you don’t have time to spend more than a minute or two finding what you are looking for in the book – there are rides to be ridden!

My one criticism is that there are some typos and a few factual errors (for example, she erroneously calls the main rodent in Ratatouille, “Ratatouille,” instead of his actual name “Remy”).

Those criticisms aside, this is a wonderful book and I am glad that it is part of my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment