Monday, January 2, 2012

My First Trip to Disney or The Beginning of Something Beautiful

It seems fitting to start a blog like this with the beginning of my relationship with Disney World. Before I went, I didn’t know the difference between Disney World and Disneyland and my only experience with Florida was Panama City Beach where my family took a vacation every summer. In fact, Panama City Beach was where my brother and I thought we were going that summer.

My dad told us we were going to go a different direction to Florida so we could stop by and visit an aunt of his (well, I guess she's mine too, I just didn't know her at all). When we got to her house she starting telling us to have fun at Disney World. My brother and I just thought that she was crazy. In our defense, she gave us each a whole dollar to spend and she tried to give us wine to drink (I was 10 and my brother was 5) because she thought it was fruit juice.

We continued our trek to Florida and the further we went, the more I realized that nothing was looking familiar. “We’re not going to the beach are we?” I asked my parents. “Remember when I told you we would go to Disney World one day?” my mom responded, “Well, today is that day!”

I got really excited but my brother was actually offended that my parents would withhold such information from us.

To be honest, I don’t remember much from that trip. I remember having a lot of fun. I remember a character meal. I remember chickening out of Space Mountain after I found out it was a roller coaster (I used to be afraid of roller coasters until I realized that every one that I went on, I enjoyed). I remember walking past the Haunted Mansion in the evening and my dad wanting to go. I remember pleading with him to wait until the next day because I did not want to go on the ride at night. I remember going on the ride that night and enjoying it. I vaguely remember Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. My memories of Epcot and what was then MGM Studios aren’t great because I don’t remember liking them that much. This was before Test Track, Mission: Space, Toy Story Mania, Rockin’ Roller Coaster (not that I would have ridden it then) and before I would come to appreciate Disney as more than just an adrenaline rush. I just didn’t enjoy those parks. Also, Animal Kingdom wasn’t open then.

The other thing I remember was officially starting my squashed penny collection. That will be for another post though.

I also remember falling in love with the place and being extremely excited about our next trip, which was three years away.

No comments:

Post a Comment