Friday, January 13, 2012

Book Review - Mousejunkies

When I worked at a bookstore, one of my favorite sections to secretly peruse while on the clock was the travel section, specifically, the Disney travel section. Since I can only visit the parks once a year at most, I have to get my fix from other sources, one of the main ones being travel guides.

After working there for over a year, I had bought all of the Disney travel books that they offered except one: Mousejunkies. It’s not that I hadn’t picked it up and flipped through it a few times, I did. It just never appealed to me like the other books did. It didn’t seem as interesting. I wanted to know secrets about Disney World, not somebody’s personal travels there.

Like I said, it was the only one I didn’t own by the time I left that job. Then my two-year anniversary with my wife came around, and guess what she bought me. That’s right, the one Disney travel book that I didn’t own. As I stated earlier, we had gone down for our honeymoon and we were planning a trip with my parents and brother later that summer, so it made sense.

When she gave me the book, I wasn’t disappointed; in fact, I was relieved that she hadn’t bought one of the books that I did own. So I started reading it and, to my surprise, by the time I was done, it had become my favorite book about Disney World.

First of all, it’s hilarious. My wife and I would crack up as I read passages aloud to her. For example, he lays out what he believes to be essentially the two ways to approach Magic Kingdom:

“1. At a leisurely pace, enjoying the details

2. Go! Go! Go! Go! Eat! Go! Go! Blister! Argue! Collapse!”

Probably the most significant reason that this book is my favorite is that it has helped me more than any other that I’ve read to see what Disney World has to offer outside of the theme parks. Using this book as a guide, I’m working on a plan for our family vacation this summer that involves one day at the parks and the rest at Disney but not the parks.

Also, this book makes me yearn for Disney in a way that the others don’t. I read other books and I think, “That’s cool. I’ll have to check that out next time I’m down there.” With Mousejunkies I think, “Man, I want to be there right now!”

One negative aspect of the book that bothered me every time it came up is that they encourage going in to debt over Disney. “Go big or go home” is their motto.

I’ve got a whole post (or two) more on this subject, but I can pretty much sum up my thoughts with a quote from Dave Ramsey: “The best vacation is the one that doesn’t follow you home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment